Online DVD Rentals
Online DVD Rentals

March 18, 2011

I'm Not Lady Gaga

For some reason I feel fairly ridiculous when I type the name Gaga, or the word gaga, for that matter. Two or three years ago it made me think of nothing except drooling babies. My parents and grandparents use to call me Goo when I was that age.


By about the age of 3, I HATED being called Goo.


I paused and laughed to myself last week, overhearing Owen and Luke as they wrestled in the living room, each of them volleying, back and forth, "No, YOU'RE Lady Gaga." I dropped what I was doing and dove into the tangle of arms and legs tumbleweeding across the living room floor.


"YOU'RE BOTH Lady Gaga."


Yes. I called my kids Lady Gaga and proceeded to rough them up with flat punches and tickles. 


Minutes later, breathing heavy and lying on the floor, I asked them where they heard about Lady Gaga.


"From you and mommy."


Okay, well that's good. I guess.


Amy despises most teenybopper pop, as she calls it. I find some of it catchy and interesting and mostly not, uh...profitable. The boys probably heard Amy and I comment about something on the radio or TV. We have talked about being shocked by Lady-you-know-who's eccentricity, in disagreement with pretty much everything she stands for, and definitely stuck on the hooks in some of the songs we hear.


I'm definitely not Lady Gaga.


Baby, I was born this way. My version would look a little different.


[If you haven't heard the song Born This Way playing a million times a day on the radio, you can easily look up the lyrics.]


Often impatient
Easily distracted
Chronically late
(These being particular manifestations of selfishness.)
Adrenalin and caffeine addicted
Short on confidence
Overly analytical
Seeking truth
Stubborn towards repentance
Wildly hopeful
Blessed beyond belief
Grateful
Wanting respect and acceptance
Desiring justice and mercy
Needing redemption


...to name a few.


I'm definitely not always on the right track. I'm not often proud of the way I was "born." Yes, of course there are regrets. Just today I talked too much when I probably should have listened.


Lady Gaga can and will issue here decrees while shocking and entertaining millions if not billions. Like me, most of them will go on to reflect on her words and deeds. None of us are Lady Gaga. Well, except Lady Gaga of course. 

I'm RWG, thinking about keeping my own act together before I worry too much about anyone else. This is me, sharing my thoughts with maybe a handful of friends, denying neither how I was "born" nor my first nick-name.


There's much to be gained by accepting who we are, not so much in the braggart, "I have arrived" sense. Owning up to the whole truth about ourselves, including the fact that sometimes we all suck – it’s not a new idea. Spiritual poverty is a beginning, not an end. A beginning on the way toward the best things, like lasting joy and peace.


     
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.


      Matthew 5

 - - - - -

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like your honesty. It's good for me.